Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Strictly disappointing

Don't laugh, but here at Azalea Towers we're quite keen on Strictly Come Dancing. We're all desperate to get our hands on some tickets to see a show, or at least we have been previously.

The new batch of celebrities has been announced for the 2009 incarnation of the show and, personally, I'm a little underwhelmed.

I imagined that the show was now so popular all the big names would want to participate, a little like the Morecambe & Wise Show in the 70s. In truth the 2009 line-up is C-list at best - indeed the biggest names taking part are now the dancers themselves. What a disappointment.

One can only assume that 'big-name' celebrities are either too busy or reluctant to allow the general public to see the 'real' them. What a shame. Strictly is a great show but it does need a little real celeb sparkle, at least initially.

This year, my favourites are likely to be BBC sports presenter Chris Hollins and Ola Jordan; Laila Rouass (despite the fact I've never heard of her) and Anton du Beke, because he's a top bloke; Darren Bennett and Lynda Bellingham, because I've fancied her since I was a kid; or the ex-wife of a celebrity, Jo Wood, and her partner Strictly 'bad boy' Brendan Cole, because I interviewed him recently and, off-set, he's a different, very affable guy.

When the show was launched a few years ago, we were representing then world darts champion Andy Fordham, and the show's production company wanted him to participate. We thought it would be a great opportunity for him, but he declined. Given his subsequent health scares it was probably a good decision, but he would certainly have been the John Sergeant of his day.

For 2010, I'd like to volunteer the services of a fat blogger and journalist; I'm even more of a non-entity than those taking part this year so I should fit the bill.
BUNKY

No comments:

Post a Comment